Prepare Your Home for Winter
Now that fall is here, it’s time to prepare for winter. Regardless of whether you expect to see sub-zero temperatures this
season or you live in one of the warmer climates, preparing your home for colder weather can save you money and hassle this winter. So before you dig out your fall sweaters, take a weekend and prepare your home for the cold weather to come.
- Fall is a great time to seal drafts in the home which can suck energy out.
- Check around doors and windows and replace worn weather stripping and caulking.
- If you use your fireplace for warmth during winter, this is the right time to have the chimney cleaned and checked for safety.
- Arrange a furnace tune up complete with replacing the filter and vacuuming the vents to make sure you are warming your home efficiently.
Before the chill turns to freezing, head to the yard to winterize the exterior of your home.
- Check gutters for clogged leaves and other debris
- Examine the roof and siding for any repairs which could create leaks or drafts in the cold.
- If the gardening season is at its end, drain water from outdoor faucets and garden hoses.
- Make sure the sprinkler system is off and reinforce any exposed pipes which could burst with the cold.
Fall is here. Along with the smell of baking and falling leaves, you can ensure your home is ready for winter by taking a few steps now to prepare. Save energy and the hassle of an unexpected repair by getting some routine maintenance done before the cold months come.